Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Scippy  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 3, 2019 7:14:07 AM(UTC)
Scippy

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hi, I can see some DNN members are on this new CMS project.
I am very satisfied with DNN and I'm not sure I understand the birth of this new project by members of the DNN project.
I have been using DNN for many years and would like to know why I should use this new cms instead of DNN.
Are there perhaps different cases in which it is better to use one or the other?
Thanks for the clarifications
Offline Abdu  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2019 7:20:34 PM(UTC)
Abdu

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

DNN is a mature product and Oqtane is like in Alpha and unusable in production. Stay with DNN until Oqtane becomes mature. The reason you see some DNN members here is because the person, Shaun, who initially developed DNN (Dot Net Nuke) is the same one developing Oqtane and some DNN people have mentioned Oqtane in DNN's FB page and maybe forums so they come here and check it out.
Offline Shaun Walker  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2019 7:35:48 AM(UTC)
Shaun Walker

Groups: Administrators, Blogger, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I started developing Oqtane about a year ago as a proof of concept to explore the potential of creating a modular application framework using modern Microsoft technologies and architectural patterns. The Oqtane project was heavily influenced and inspired by DotNetNuke - partly because I was the original creator of DNN so I am intimately familiar with its core architecture, but also because the business concepts and features which exist in DNN are just as relevant today as they were 15 years ago when DNN was first released. That being said, technology has evolved significantly in the past decade and similar to many other mature software products, DNN has a variety of legacy behaviors and limitations which make it very challenging to migrate to a modern technical architecture. To be clear, the technical limitations of DNN do not necessarily impact the current everyday usage of the product by end users and developers. But as time goes by there is definitely a concern that the underlying technologies it relies upon will become unsupported; and the other more significant challenge is that the product may not be able to innovate or adapt to modern business scenarios. Oqtane embraces a modern single page application (SPA) model where there is a cleanly defined client/server architecture. From a framework perspective it was designed with modularity, extensibility, and multi-tenancy in mind. The familiarity with DNN has also been valuable in terms of allowing Oqtane to address some of DNN's most common core limitations as part of the initial development ( ie. automated upgrades, tenancy isolation, streamlined module development, etc... ). In terms of maturity, Oqtane is getting very close to reaching an MVP ( minimum viable product ) milestone.

Edited by user Tuesday, November 19, 2019 7:37:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified